By Jazmin Sierra and Jessica Santiago, staff writers
The Garden Guru Club, run by Ms. Borowski, is just one of the many clubs at school, but we say it’s the most fun. The club gets together every Friday after school to plant fruits and vegetables. Everyone in the club learns something each week about planting and gardening. Students look around the garden and surprisingly they seem to love the worms and slugs they find in the dirt.
Over time the Garden Guru Club harvested the fruits and veggies they planted, then divided the food and took it home.
One Friday, the Garden Club cooked the zucchini they picked and made it into delicious, sweet, moist zucchini bread. Ms. Borowski gave us the recipe to share with everyone! There are more than fifteen kids in this club and you can still join!
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2 1/4 cups white sugar
* 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the
creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter
into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool
in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.